- Walk - still one of the very best ways to explore the narrow cobbled streets of the town center. Take the train from Lisbon to save time money and stress. no parking trouble, no hassle, no emissions.
- Cycle - if you love biking and don't mind cracking a sweat pedaling up and down the beautiful sintra hills, cycling-rentals provides bicycle hire and routes around the sintra area all the way to the beaches.
- Electric Cars - Sight Sintra offers several tourist itineraries around town in their all electric mini cars which feature a self guided gps device.
- Horse Carriage - the oldest and most romantic way around Sintra. SintraTur offers 6 distinct scenic routes in traditional horse drawn carriages. If slow travel is your thing, this zero emission choice is also fully biodegradable!
- E-bike - Park E Bike offers travelers of all fitness levels a fun and active way to explore most or all of the main Sintra attractions in a single day. Fast enough that you can get to the sites with time to explore each but slow enough that you can savour the ride and stop to smell the roses.
Park E Bike offers the longest range of complete routes to explore the whole Sintra area but there are other excellent ways to get around the historic core of the old town or Vila de Sintra.
Did you know that the biological invasion by exotic species is considered to be the second largest cause of global biodiversity loss? With the help of all we want to move forward faster in the solution of the problem in Sintra. The Sintra Parks work all year round to eradicate invasive types of vegetation, but with many participants we can accomplish more in less time. Now that the soil is damp and roots are loose the job get much is easier - it's the perfect time for it.
If you are around Sintra and want to help out, please join us. Pre-registration is mandatory and the reception of the participants is scheduled for 09:00 at the Quintinha de Monserrate, forming working teams will follow later to several compartments of the Tapada de Monserrate.
Given that we have received many entries and there are very few parking spaces at the Quintinha de Monserrate, you must Access the site via the transport provided by Sintra Parks. Thus, a bus identified with the plate "Volunteering-Quintinha de Monserrate" will leave the station every 15 minutes from Sintra, 8:30 to 9:15 of day 9 November, transporting all who are enrolled in volunteering.
A limited number of E Bikes will be made available free of charge to volunteers who would like to cycle to Monserrate instead of taking the bus. If you would like to use an E Bike, email us as soon as possible.
The morning work session will finish with a celebration of Magusto, with chestnuts and wine, while participants also have the opportunity to visit the facilities of the Quintinha de Monserrate, particularly the horticultural areas, water systems and the farm animals: donkeys, horse, sheep, rabbits, chickens, among others.
Finally, the bus will transport the reverse route.
9h00 - Meet up and Sign in
9h30 - Head to work stations
10h00 - Pull some invasives up
12h00 - Head back to the Quintinha de Monserrate
12h30 - Magusto get together
To sign up and for more information contact +351 21 923 73 00 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Sintra - UNESCO World Heritage site, one of the most attractive royal towns in Portugal and certainly one of the most popular destinations. When the monarchs first put Sintra on the map, in their bid to escape the summer heat of Lisbon, cars were not even a distant dream - today they can be a real world nightmare in the town center.
If you are visiting Sintra or have friends on their way, do everyone a real favour and ask them to leave their car at home. Parking is expensive and sparse and the old streets were not designed with vehicles other than horse carriages in mind.
If you are visiting from Lisbon for the day, consider taking a train to Sintra and going on foot instead of driving. If walking is not your favorite thing, you can always take the 434 bus to visit the beautiful Pena Palace and Moorish castle. Be warned that in summer time the 434 bus queue can be such that some visitors have to wait for the next bus.
Without any doubt though, the cleanest and most enjoyable way to cover the distance between the parks and palaces is by bicycle - with an electric assisted E-bike, you get the all the fun and freedom of cycling without the effort of pedal pushing up the hills of Sintra, and you will have no trouble at all to find parking. Enjoy!